Farm with us in 2019!
March 22, 2019 update
Two on farm positions open:
- 7am – 4pm, Monday – Friday.
- Additional 1 Saturday shift / month, 7am – 12 pm.
- Work contract: Approx. June 3rd – November 1st.
- Starting pay $12/hr.
One farmers’ market position open:
- Rockland Farmers’ Market
- Thursdays, June 13th – Sept. 26th
- 7am – 1:30 pm
- Starting pay $13/hh
Dandelion Spring Farm is a thriving mixed vegetable & herb farm. We love food, community, and details. We market our produce through two bustling farmers’ markets and a small bevy of wholesale and restaurant accounts.
At Dandelion Spring if you were to count the row feet of plants, we tend about 10 acres of vegetables each season. Imagine piles of boxes of tiny greens, bushels of striped baby eggplants, waves and waves of multi colored cherry tomatoes. We want to share the beauty and the work with you.
We’re a Certified Organic Farm that values: – Sharing Mountains of Beautiful Vegetables – Independent Workers and Community – Attention to Detail – (and the ability to retain many details!) – Efficiency – and Timeliness.
Desired Skills & Qualifications for Field Positions:
- At least 1 year of full-time work in farming, or, related fields such as landscaping, restaurant work, etc.
- Strong work ethic and an eye for both quality and efficiency
- Strong teamwork and communication skills; patience, flexibility, and positivity.
- Applicants should have a strong understanding of the physical requirements of working on a farm and being outside in all kinds of weather.
Prior to hire, we’d like to have a conversation with you (phone or Skype can be fine) and speak to two references. Should we seem like a good match for one another, we will provide more detailed information about our expectations of you, as well as what you can expect from us.
Compensation & Expectations: Housing is not included; having personal transportation is necessary. Starting wages are generally $12 an hour with a review around 6 weeks after start and again around 12 weeks.
How to apply
Please send us an email explaining:
- specifically why do you want to work with us?
- what is your background that you think contributes to making you a good farmer?
- are there any areas of market scale vegetable production you’re particularly excited about?
- please include two references (not family or close friends, please) who can speak to your abilities as a farmer.
- include your most recent resume or list of past and current employment
Deadline: no deadline
Who are we?
Farming, like life, is truly dynamic. At Dandelion Spring:
- We love food
- We are passionate about plants, nutrition for the soil and ourselves
- We love sharing what we grow with our farmers’ market and restaurant community
- We are compulsive list makers
- We are flexible enough to change our path when nature presents a new plan
- We keep moving forward with the intensity of an endurance athlete (and know that endurance athletics are often a mind game as much as a physical challenge)
- We are mindful of our leadership skills as we try to create a work environment that is nurturing and boundaried at the same time
- We strongly believe in Certified Organic, soil based, production
Located in Bowdoinham, Maine, we are less than an hour from Portland and a little over an hour to our Midcoast customers in Camden and Rockland. Dandelion Spring’s roots are on an 85 acre parcel that is about 40 acres of open space, and 45 acres of woods. There is a river not too far away. The town of Bowdoinham is incredibly supportive of local agriculture, and home to many other certified organic farms.