Dandelion Spring is seeking farmers' for the 2018 season!
We are seeking farmers to join us for the 2018 season!
Our crew will have approximately 7 full time employees, with possible availability of part time employment.
Dandelion Spring Farm is a thriving mixed vegetable & herb farm that has grown by significant margins nearly ever year since it's first seeds in 2002. We are celebrating 2018 as we settle into a new property within range of our existing markets. We market our produce through two bustling farmers' markets and about a dozen core wholesale and restaurant accounts.
We offer a unique opportunity for farm employment during this inaugural year on our new land. Come farm with seasoned farmers who are energized by the opportunity and challenges of a fresh start on new land. We are also a competitive lot, and hope to make this transition a nearly seamless one for our customers.
At Dandelion Spring if you were to count the row feet of plants, we tend about 10 acres of vegetables each season. Imagine piles of boxes of tiny greens, bushels of striped baby eggplants, waves and waves of multi colored cherry tomatoes. We want to share the beauty and the work with you. We're a Certified Organic Farm that values: - Sharing Mountains of Beautiful Vegetables - Independent Workers and Community - Attention to Detail - (and the ability to retain many details!) - Efficiency - and Timeliness. We're look for several full and part time farmers for work available from April/May - October/November.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
• At least 1 year of full-time work in farming, or, related fields such as landscaping, restaurant work, etc.
• Strong work ethic and an eye for both quality and efficiency
• Strong teamwork and communication skills; patience, flexibility, and positivity.
• Applicants should have a strong understanding of the physical requirements of working on a farm and being outside in all kinds of weather.
Prior to hire, we'd like to have a conversation with you (phone or Skype can be fine) and speak to two references. Should we seem like a good match for one another, we will provide more detailed information about our expectations of you, as well as what you can expect from us.
Compensation & Expectations: Positions start in April and May and end in mid-November. There are some 20-30 hour/week positions available, and some 40-50 hour/week. Less hours will be available during the low season (April, May, end of October and November) and more hours during peak season (end of May through mid-October). Housing is not included; having personal transportation is necessary. New full time employees will receive 3 days of sick leave/vacation time during the season. Starting wages are generally $12 an hour with a review 4-6 weeks after start and again at 10-12 weeks. There is an opportunity for a wage increase at each review.
Who are we?
Farming, like life, is truly dynamic. At Dandelion Spring:
• We love food.
• We are passionate about plants, nutrition for the soil and ourselves.
• We love sharing what we grow with our farmers' market and restaurant community
• We are compulsive list makers
• We are flexible enough to change our path when nature presents a new plan
• We keep moving forward with the intensity of an endurance athlete (and know that endurance athletics are often a mind game as much as a physical challenge)
• We are mindful of our leadership skills as we try to create a work environment that is nurturing and bounderied at the same time.
• We strongly believe in Certified Organic, soil based, production.
Located in Bowdoinham, Maine, we are less than an hour from Portland and a little over an hour to our Midcoast customers in Camden and Rockland. Dandelion Spring's new roots are on an 85 acre parcel that is about 40 acres of open space, and 45 acres of woods. There is a river not too far away. The town of Bowdoinham is incredibly supportive of local agriculture, and home to many other certified organic farms. *** Special Note! Our farm is in transition to a beautiful new property. Dandelion Spring lives on, as described in the website, although we will no longer be sharing a property with Straw's farm and the related livestock. We are busy in this transition and next winter we’ll make a new website to fully respect our new place in present time. We are happy to answer any questions to help with clarity about who we are and what we offer.
Please send us an email explaining:
- specifically why do you want to work with us?
- what is your background that you think contributes to making you a good farmer?
- are there any areas of market scale vegetable production you're particularly excited about?
- when are you available? are you looking for full or part time work?
- please include two references (not family or close friends, please) who can speak to your abilities as a farmer.
- include your most recent resume (if you have one)
Deadline: no deadline